Tuesday, January 13, 2009

No Class today, but yesterday...

There was no class today due to Block Week, but I still neglected to blog about yesterday's class!

After our decimal warm up, we returned to our work with expressions, equations and variables with geometry. Most of our work we did together on the board. Pictures of those are posted below.

Their homework, to get them back to where we were before the break, was to complete #7 on the back of the sheet we were working on yesterday (or #7 from the WPP... see the earlier WPP post...). I'll be on the lookout for that tomorrow (Wednesday).

On a side note, I began today by talking about attitude and how we see ourselves as students/learners of math. In my life outside of school, as well as inside, I've really started to realized that how I approach a day/conversation/topic/subject/person or what I think about a day/conversation/topic/etc. GREATLY influences just how well whatever it is will turn out. For example, "Gosh, I'm really worried about having a conversation with X and I'm pretty sure I'm just not going to be able to find the right words to express myself." Sure enough, lo and behold, there's the conversation... and it happened the way I thought it would, given the context that I have created.

This really hit home for me (again!) in my morning math classes when I found myself last week spending half of a period bucking the students up about themselves and their mathematical abilities. If, while we're learning something new or getting ready to take a test, you are saying to yourself, "I'm really bad at this... I don't get it... I'll never get it... This is horrible... I don't want to be here..." -- guess what you are creating for yourself??

I think of the Einstein quote:

Whether you think you can or you can't, either way you're right.

Hope you have a great evening!